Teaching Strategy #2
Give each student 1-3 plastic chips (or checkers). During a small group discussion, a student puts a chip in the middle of the circle when they get a turn to talk. Everyone must get rid of one chip before another can be used by anyone.
– Every student gets a chance to talk
– Students learn from each other
– Keeps them on-topic
– Small groups create a safe environment for students to add to the discussion/project (especially good for English-language learners)
– Pre- or post-assessment
Any topic can be discussed using this strategy. Some topic ideas include:
– phases of the moon
– group book discussions
– geographic locations
– The teacher can listen in and see what students still need to learn and where to guide instruction.
– Students can discuss everything they learned during a unit to sum up their learning.
– The teacher notes any student response to help guide the teaching.