Once you have made the decision to apply for the Elementary Education program there are a few tasks that must be completed. You can refer to my previous posts for other details about applying for the major, since this entry’s main purpose is to inform you about one of the steps: fingerprinting.
Fingerprinting and an FBI clearance check are required of all potential educators attending BYU and must be completed prior to the application due date. The Education Student Services site gives guidelines to get started. Below are additional helpful tips:
1. First, you will need to visit the Educator Licensing webpage to start the process to be cleared for fingerprinting. On the right side you will notice some text boxes in yellow–click on Background Check. Then, you will come to a Licensing Procedure page: click on “Initial Licensure” and continue with the application.
2. On the application make sure to enter your permanent address and to enter Brigham Young University for your university.
3. For those of you who are U.S. citizens, enter your social security number when the question comes. Those who are international students, go to room 120 of the McKay Building to talk with Education Student Services.
4. Near the end of the application you will be asked to pay with a credit or debit card the $74.00 fee.
5. After you have paid, print out the LiveScan authorization form from the Utah State Office of Education website.
You’re almost there:
6. As soon as possible, head up the hill with your LiveScan authorization form, a government issued ID (a driver’s license, birth certificate, Social Security card, military ID, or a passport) and $20 on your signature card to Education Student Services in room 120 MCKB and let them know you want to be fingerprinted. It should only take a few minutes for them to get the equipment ready to perform the procedure.
7. Once you have been fingerprinted and your LiveScan authorization form has been filled out by Education Student Services, attach a copy of the authorization form to the program application and you are set with that portion of your application!
As long as you follow these steps you will be able to complete this procedure. However, if you have any further questions don’t hesitate to comment and I can answer your individual questions.